Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tough Decision

The decision I must make is based on the following three choices:  to stay with the current company in my current position and wait for an opportunity for a training position to come along; apply and accept an entry position with my current company ; or apply and accept a position with a new company.  These choices have several key positive and negative aspects.  I rate on the positive side time to finish school, gain specific company knowledge with my current employer, a better salary, benefits and opportunities to network.  On the negative side there is the loss of opportunity to fully use my skill set, losing out on opportunities to find a training position with another company or loss the of the networking connections already made.  Because there is no way to guarantee that any doors will open to the path I want to take, I can only take the very real steps toward the path I would like to materialize.  So as in the strategy in the text (between steps 4 and 5) suggests, I visualized myself in the future of my preliminary choice.  I know that if I apply and accept the entry level position I know is available with my current company, I would have to commit to one year before I could apply for any other position within the company.  However, I clearly see the pros to this choice; a better salary, benefits, and a good schedule that would not conflict with my schooling. That is very important.  Another two benefits are gaining knowledge of the company’s products, procedures and customers.  This knowledge would give me the foundation I need to be able to apply for a training position.  I’m aware that department trainers are often selected based on their knowledge in a particular business segment of the company.  I’m also aware that team trainers are charged with training the new hires, and they are selected from the business segment teams.  I saw this as a way of getting some training experience within the company.  So when a training position becomes available, I would have current training experience, as well as, specific business segment knowledge, and at least two and a half years of employment history with the company.  The company often hires from within.  Taking all of the aforementioned information into consideration, I believe that the decision to apply and accept an entry level position with my current company would be the best decision to make.  I’m open to opinions, suggestions or ideas, so please feel free to offer them.  Thanks for taking the time to read and consider my decision

1 comment:

  1. You might be surprised what else is out there.....go onto Career Builder or ASTD or Linked In and look at training related jobs in your geographic area....

    ReplyDelete