Sunday, June 12, 2011

Personal Journal 6.12.11

   Over the course of this term I've become aware of many new concepts. The information I read in Learning Styles Perspective has been the most eye opening for me because it seem to speak directly to my natural learning style. I say natural because I didn't choose it, it chose me. The more I read about learning styles the more I understood why I learn the way I learn. This alone gave me a sense of who I am as a learner and how to be a better instructor.
  As a part of this insight I became aware that I have a combination learning style. Primarily an auditory then a visual learner. Now I understand why I read out loud and must break new information into pieces as well as make connections between the parts in order to understand the whole. I just thought I became easily overwhelmed by unfamiliar data. I didn't know that I had to learn new information sequentially, but now I don't feel confused by my own study habits.
   This alone has improved my learning process because I can adjust, with confidence, my learning strategies to enhance my learning. I tried and was successful in suppressing my running commentary. I actually would try to talk out loud to drown out the voice in my head. I was a mess when it came to studying. My time management will also be better because I will incorporate thinking and wait times into my strategy.
   Understanding the components of my learning styles has already helped me, I can fill in any holes I have with concrete and tangible building blocks. I'm so excited to have answers to questions that I honestly didn't know were questions I had about my way of learning. I just thought I had a learning handicap of some sort, so I just worked around it. Not knowing I was just working very hard against myself, making learning a struggle and very difficult. I know I will have to break some really bad habits to be completely successful, but it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment